Drinking beer is fun, but drinking warm beer isn’t. So to make sure your beer is always chilled to perfection and served at exactly the right temperature, here are our top picks for the best beer cooler to help you find one that works for you.
Quick Pick: The Best Beer Cooler
The Best Beer Cooler on the Market 2021
1. NewAir Beverage Refrigerator and Cooler
If you are looking for a mini-fridge-style cooler, this one should be near the top of your shortlist. It has dimensions of 32.4” high x 18.9” wide x 18.4” deep and holds a maximum of 126 cans, giving you plenty of storage space for all your favorite brews.
There are seven different temperature settings, allowing you to choose how cold you want your beer. Its range is from a maximum of 64°F to a minimum of 37°F, giving you plenty of versatility, and the adjustable shelves allow you to customize the configuration too.
Another positive of this cooler is that it runs relatively quietly (although you shouldn’t expect it to be silent, and it makes more noise at colder settings). It also looks great, so it will add an extra decorative element to any room where you choose to place it.
One thing we like less about this cooler is that the temperature control is located on the back, which could make it inaccessible, depending on your installation. Also, you have to defrost it manually whenever there is a build-up of ice – it doesn’t have an auto-defrost feature.
However, despite these minor gripes, this is an exceptional product that would be a great option for a beer cooler in a party room, garage, mancave or anywhere else. It looks great, does its job well and doesn’t cost too much, making it an option that’s well worth considering.
- Holds up to 126 cans of beer – plenty of space for your favorite brews
- Minimum temperature of 37° – keeps everything nicely chilled
- Customize temperature – with 7 different settings
- Runs quietly – although don’t expect it to be completely silent
- Adjustable shelves – allows you to customize the configuration
- Temperature control on the back – makes it difficult to reach
- Manual defrost – have to do it yourself
2. BACKYARD EXPRESSIONS Outdoor Beverage Cooler
As anyone who enjoys throwing outdoor parties will know, it’s important to have somewhere to store and serve drinks – and if you’re looking for a solution to that particular problem, this backyard beverage cooler could be just the thing.
It looks great – which is no minor consideration – and even better, there are three different designs to choose from, so you can pick the one that most suits your style.
We like the way it includes side handles that make it easy to carry, even when filled with ice and drinks, and it even features a bottle opener, so you’ll never be left with bottles of beer and nothing to pop the caps.
Importantly, the cooler does a good job of keeping your beers and everything else cold, so you won’t need to worry about them getting warm before the end of your party – and there’s also a drainage spout to let out the water as it melts.
On the downside, we found this cooler to be on the small side if you want to throw larger parties. It will hold enough drinks for a few people, but for larger gatherings, you’ll probably need at least two of them.
Also, it’s a bit tricky to put together, especially since the instructions are not completely clear – but most people will still be able to work it out, so it’s not such a big issue.
In sum, a great option for anyone who needs a stylish yet functional outdoor beer cooler that will keep beers cold while also impressing their friends – and if that sounds like what you’re looking for, this is an option that certainly fits the bill.
- Looks great – and available in three different styles
- Side handles – makes it easier to lift, even when full
- Fully insulated – keeps drinks cold till after the party ends
- Lid props open – makes it easier to access beers
- Includes integrated bottle opener – makes it easy to pop the caps
- Not huge capacity – not ideal for larger parties
- A little tricky to build – poor instructions don’t help
3. Keter Pacific Cool Bar Outdoor Side Table with 7.5 Gallon Beer and Wine Cooler
This cooler and table combo from Keter is such a great idea. You can use it as a simple low table, but the top also pops up, giving you a raised table along with a cooler for drinks below.
Since it has a capacity of up to 7.5 gallons of ice, it is big enough to hold enough drinks for everyone, even for larger gatherings. It looks great too, and it’s sure to be a conversation piece at your parties as much as a functional cooler.
Other positive points include the fact that it is weather-resistant, meaning you can leave it outside in the sun and it will keep its good looks. There’s also a drainage plug that allows you to pour off the water from the melting ice.
That said, the plug is a little awkward to reach when the cooler is full, and there’s nothing to tell you where it is, which is a slight design flaw. Also, it’s easy to knock drinks over from the top tray when open, so you might want to avoid putting anything breakable on there.
Overall, this is an excellent option for anyone who needs a stylish and original way to serve beer and other drinks during outdoor events. This is the kind of thing that will appeal to anyone who likes something more original, and if that includes you, it could be worth a look.
- Stylish look – will be a conversation piece as well as just a cooler
- 2 configurations – cooler mode or table mode
- Large capacity – holds up to 7.5 gallons of ice
- Weather-resistant – won’t fade, even in the sun
- Includes drainage plug – allows you to pour off the water from the bottom
- Drainage plug awkward to access – not easy to locate
- Easy to knock drinks over – need to be careful when standing them on top
4. Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Zipperless Hardbody Cooler
For anyone looking for a portable beer cooler for carrying drinks to the beach or on picnics, this is an option that should be of interest. It can keep drinks cold for up to a day or more, and it’s available in several color and size options, allowing you to pick the perfect one for you.
The innovative flip-open zipperless design is a plus since it gives you quick and easy access to the drinks you have stored inside. It also boasts a leak-proof interior that ensures any liquid stays inside rather than soaking through the bag.
On the outside, the bag is made of water-resistant, stain-resistant material, which makes it easy to clean, and it has comfortable adjustable straps that make it comfortable to carry, even when fully loaded.
However, it isn’t perfect, and we might complain that the plastic liner is a little flimsy – although it will be fine if you don’t treat it too roughly. Also, if you want to remove the top shelf, you have to take everything else out first, which for us is a slight design flaw.
These minor niggles aside, this is an ideal pick if you want to be able to take your beers with you and keep them cold wherever you go. It sells at a very reasonable price point and does its job perfectly, making it a beer cooler that many people will find appealing.
- Flip-open zipperless design – makes it easier to access your beers
- Leak-proof interior – don’t need to worry about spillages
- Water- and stain-resistant material – easy to keep clean
- High-performance insulation – keeps drinks cold for longer
- Available in several color and size options – choose the best one for your needs
- Plastic liner a little flimsy – need to be careful not to break it
- Need to remove items to take out top shelf – a slight design flaw
5. TOURIT Cooler Backpack 30 Cans Lightweight Insulated Backpack Cooler
If you like the sound of the bag-style cooler above and you’re looking for something similar to compare it with, this is another model that could be worth checking out.
You wear it on your back just like a rucksack, and it has a generous capacity, holding up to around 30 cans of beer or other drinks. It has a reliable leak-proof interior too, so you won’t have to worry about water or anything else seeping through the fabric.
One thing we appreciate is the way it has multiple pockets and compartments. This means you can put your cans and bottles in the main compartment while still having other places to store other stuff. There’s also an attached bottle opener, which is a thoughtful extra touch.
Be aware with this cooler – and anything in the same category – that it won’t keep drinks cold for extended periods. However, if you need something that will keep everything chilled for up to a day, it still does a great job.
One minor gripe is that some condensation can build up on the bottom on hot days, partly due to the thin insulation underneath, but it’s easy enough to wipe off, so this shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.
In short, another great option if you need a way to keep your beers cold on the go. It’s an inexpensive yet effective cooler and one that does what it was designed for extremely well.
- Leak-proof interior – won’t let any liquid escape from inside
- Generous capacity – holds up to around 30 cans
- Multiple pockets – gives you extra storage options
- Includes a bottle opener – a useful and convenient addition
- Looks good – because you don’t want to be seen carrying an ugly bag!
- Won’t keep drinks cold forever – but will keep things chilled for one day
- Condensation can build up on the bottom – due to lack of insulation there
6. StowCo Small Portable Cooler Bag
Here’s an item we loved – it’s a cooler bag for beer or wine, but one that doesn’t look like a cooler. Instead, it looks like a classy briefcase or laptop bag, which is great because it provides a discreet way of carrying alcohol – nobody will guess you have a bag full of booze.
Another great feature is the semi-rigid outer shell – it does a great job of protecting the contents, so you won’t need to worry about your bottles of beer, wine or champagne getting smashed during trasit. It’s also a good way to keep bottles safe during flights.
Since it doesn’t require ice, it’s convenient to use, and it also features an insulated zipper to help keep everything cold for longer.
That said, it will only keep drinks cold for up to around five hours. If that’s all you need, this cooler is perfect – but to keep things chilled for longer, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
Also, a more minor complaint is that it doesn’t have a shoulder strap. This would have made it more convenient to carry, but since it is relatively small and light, this shouldn’t be a big deal.
When it comes to beer coolers, this is one of our favorites. It looks great, keeps your drinks cold long enough for picnics or trips to the beach and also sells at a surprisingly low price. A great pick for a gift or just if you like the idea of owning one of these yourself.
- Semi-rigid shell – protects cans or bottles inside
- Discreet design – nobody will guess you’re carrying around a bag of booze
- Classy and sophisticated – if you don’t like the rucksack look
- Insulated zipper – helps keep drinks cold for longer
- No ice required – comes with reusable ice packs
- Keeps drinks cold for only around 5 hours – although perfect if you don’t need longer
- No shoulder strap – must be carried in your hand
7. BrüMate HOPSULATOR TRíO 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Insulated Can Cooler
Sometimes you just want to keep the beer in your hand cold long enough to enjoy it, and that’s what they invented koozies for. However, on a hot day, a regular koozie doesn’t keep a drink chilled for extended periods, and if that’s what you need, this is a better option.
You pop your can inside – it works with both 12oz and 16oz cans – and it will keep it cold for hours. It’s super easy to use, and if you don’t want to put a can inside, it also functions as a tumbler, so you’ll get plenty of use out of it. It even works for hot drinks too.
We love the way this thing is so well designed – it boasts lots of useful features including a non-slip base that make it convenient to use. It’s also available in a whole range of colors and styles, so you can choose the one that most perfectly matches your taste.
The major downside with this is the price since it’s on the expensive side for something that is still, essentially, just a koozie. Also, some people might not like the tumbler lid since it’s a bit plasticky and seems cheap – although it still does its job perfectly.
All in all, a great pick if you are fed up with your cans of beer or other drinks getting warm before you have the chance to finish them – as long as you don’t mind meeting the slightly high price tag.
- Versatile cooler – holds 12oz and 16oz cans and also works as a tumbler
- No condensation – outside always stays dry
- Well-designed item – includes lots of useful features
- Available in a range of colors and styles – choose one you love
- Suitable for hot and cold beverages – for even more versatility
- Pricey item – costs a lot just for a koozie
- Tumbler lit not perfect – and also seems a little cheap
If you’re looking for the best beer cooler, you’re probably wondering about the options that are available to you and how to decide which one is most suitable for your needs. So let’s have a look at that now.
Different types of cooler
The term “beer cooler” covers quite a range of options, so what kind of thing should you be thinking about?
The first kind is an electric beer fridge that plugs into an outlet and looks very much like a fridge – the only difference being that they’re designed to keep drinks chilled rather than for storing food.
These are ideal if you need something to install in your home bar, games room, mancave or anything similar – they will keep your beers chilled and ready to drink at all times, so you’ll always have a cold brew at hand whenever you want one.
The downsides are that they consume power, so you can expect your electricity bill to go up a bit, and they can be noisy.
If you choose one of these, the first thing to look at is the size because you’ll need to pick one that’s appropriate for the room where you want to install it and also that fits in the space where you want it to go, like in an alcove, under a table etc.
Look at how many cans or bottles it can hold, and also pay attention to its energy consumption rating as well as how noisy it is. Finally, check its temperature range capability to make sure it can chill your beers or other drinks to the temperature you prefer.
The next option is the classic chest-style cooler or icebox. These are insulated boxes that you fill with beer and ice – once filled, they will keep your drinks chilled for hours or even days.
These are ideal for outdoor parties or camping trips, but the downside is that they will only keep beers cold for a limited amount of time before the ice melts, after which you need to refill with fresh ice.
When choosing one of these, look at the capacity as well as how long it can keep drinks cold. Some of the most advanced models can stay cold for five days or even a week without needing to change the ice, but these are extremely expensive.
Others can keep drinks cold for a day or two, and if that’s all you need, choosing something like this will save you a lot of money.
Another feature to look for is a drainage spout, which will make it easier to empty the water once the ice has melted.
The next style of cooler is the bag style. These look like regular rucksacks but are designed for carrying drinks and are insulated to ensure everything inside stays cold.
Like with icebox-style coolers, one of the main features to pay attention to is how long they keep drinks cold. Again, the more you pay, the longer you can expect it to keep your beers chilled – so you can save yourself some money if you don’t need it to stay cold for days.
Also, make sure you check the capacity of the bag and its durability. Since you will be carrying it around on your back, it needs to be able to withstand a certain amount of rough treatment.
Koozie-style can cooler
A koozie is a kind of “jacket” that you use to wrap up your can or bottle of beer to keep it cool.
Before, this would simply keep it chilled for a little longer before it inevitably warmed up, but nowadays more advanced versions exist that can keep cans or drinks cold for hours.
When buying one of these, look out for how long it can keep a drink cold as well as the sizes of cans or bottles it is compatible with.
Loads of great options to choose from
As you can see, there are loads of different ways to keep your beer chilled, from plug-in fridge-style coolers to portable ones designed to keep single cans cold.
If you’re fed up with drinking warm beer and have decided you need a cooler for your brews but are having trouble deciding which one to go for, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.